Free Stuff to do in Brisbane
With it's fantastic weather, picturesque surrounding countryside and friendly people, Brisbane is an easy place to find free, fun and exciting things to do! If you're on a budget and don't want to pay big bucks to be entertained, there are lots of options available.
Brisbane is one of those places that is so fun just to spend time exploring. Along with the inner city attractions such as government run art galleries, museums and shows, there also lots to see outside the main city with mountains to the west and seaside areas along Moreton Bay to the east.
If the surf beaches are more your style, it's just an hour north to the Sunshine Coast or an hour south to the Gold Coast, each with their own set of attractions and of course more fun, adventures and most importantly, free things to do!
Free stuff to do in the City
- Take a walk in the City Botanic Gardens, they're right next to the CBD and have amazing views of the river and a huge array of flora with educational displays
- Window shop in the Queen Street Mall
- Take a self-guided tour, such as the Albert Street Literary Walk
- Check out the Museum of Brisbane - admission is free and you're sure to learn some interesting titbits of information to impress your friends with
- Have a wander around the Roma Street Parklands - the world's largest subtropical garden in a city centre
- Head up to Wickham Terrace at Spring Hill and marvel at the oldest surviving building in Brisbane - the Old Windmill
- Treat your ears to a free concert at the Customs House put on by the UQ School of Music - every Sunday
- Get up close and personal with the Brisbane City Hall at the City Hall Visitor Experience Centre
- Find out more about all of the above at our Brisbane City Centre destination page
Free stuff to do in the Suburbs
- Grab some friends for a picnic in New Farm Park (and make sure you bring your cricket bat or football) - while you're there be sure to check out the Powerhouse Arts Centre too as it holds lots of free events and it's also free to head in and have a look around inside.
- People-watch in The Valley (Fortitude Valley) - Brisbane's dedicated entertainment precinct
- Have a BBQ picnic at Kangaroo Point and watch the boats on the river or the abseilers and rock climbers on the cliffs, or go for a bike ride along the paths of the parkland at the base of the cliffs and take in the amazing views of the city.
- Lose yourself for a couple of hours at the Paddington Antique Centre housed in the historic Plaza Theatre - check out our Paddington destination page for more info.
- Take the family for a picnic at Rocks Riverside Park in Seventeen Mile Rocks, it has a great play area and free BBQs.
- Cool off on a hot day at Wynnum Wading Pool
Free stuff to do on the Southside (South Bank)
- Take a stroll around the Parklands
- Cycle, skate or walk along the riverfront Promenade
- Walk along the kilometre long shady Grand Arbour, planted with Bougainvillea and lit up at night, it's always a beautiful sight!
- Cool off at the Streets Beach - an artificial sandy white beach complete with lifeguards for your safety.
- Check out the many art galleries and museums, entry to most is free
- Find out more about all of the above at our South Bank destination page
- The Valley Fiesta is a festival of art and music and includes the iconic Anne Street Party - Fortitude Valley.
- If jazz music is your thing, you can't miss the Valley Jazz Festival held in May every two years in Fortitude Valley, featuring many free performances and acts.
- Every September Brisbane comes alive with the three week long Brisbane Festival including many free performances - a vibrant celebration of art and life.
- The Queensland Music Festival is a bi-annual event and is held in July, encompassing every musical style and offering free performances.
- Check out the free festivals and events in our Brisbane Event Calendar
- Valley Markets - Brunswick St Mall & China Town Mall, Brunswick Street, Fortitude Valley - every Saturday and Sunday 8am to 4pm
- Jan Power's Farmers Markets - Powerhouse - New Farm - every 2nd and 4th Saturday of the month
- Every Saturday Davies Park hosts the West End Markets from 6am till 2pm
- The South Bank Lifestyle Markets is open Friday, Saturday and Sunday every week and focuses on arts, crafts, fashion, health and lifestyle
- The Riverside at the Pier Markets are held every Sunday from 7am - 3pm at the Eagle Street Pier
- Find out more on our Brisbane Markets page
Technically not free as you'll need to put some fuel in you car for the drive, these nearby locations are a great option for a day out taking in the sights.
- Mount Nebo and Mount Glorious are located just to the north west of Brisbane and offer winding mountain roads and amazing views.
- Somerset Dam is just an hour's picturesque drive from Brisbane for a picnic and to watch the exciting watersports activites on weekends
- Go for a drive up to Mount Coot-tha and take in the amazing view overlooking the whole of Brisbane from the lookout