Eagle Street Fig Trees
On May 16th 1889 Queen Victoria's representative gave to the people of Brisbane a small peice of land to be reserved as a plantation. On this reserve the first superintended of the Botanical Gardens, Walter Hills, planted three fig trees as a place for workers to rest. They stand there today and still live up to this purpose with their large canopies and interesting buttressed trunks. The trees are listed as part of the National Trust of Queensland and the Australian Heritage Commission.
Image courtesy of Brisbane Marketing